Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Roman Geology and a Death Mosey

Once again, I've changed my mind about blogging, but I thought up "Alex's Adventures Abroad" last night and decided it was too adorably alliterative to NOT make into a blog (yeah, how typically me, haha). I'm a few weeks behind at this point, since I've already spent a week on the east coast (not abroad, I know, but still a part of my summer travels), another week in England, and my first week here in Roma, so I'll be back-blogging for a while.

Today was our second class with Albert (one of two professors teaching our HUM 350 "Preserving a World City" class and whom I adore), and it was about the geology of ancient Rome. We sat at the top of the Capitoline Hill for lecture, and then went on what was supposed to be a Death March, but it was definitely less of a march and more of a mosey, haha. I really enjoy Albert's style of teaching, where we sit for lecture and discussion and then walk around the sites. I don't think I've ever been as excited for class as I have been here in Rome, despite having to get up at like 7:30 every day. Being able to have classes on these historic sites is absolutely incredible.

Anyway, this summer has just been amazing so far. I'll go into more detail in my back-posts, but for now, let me just say I'm pretty sure this is turning into the best summer of my life. I partied raged with some of the craziest boys I've ever met and visited Annapolis, DC and NYC while I was on the east coast; I had a blast with my JAK girls in England, getting into all sorts of shens as only the three of us can; and now the fact that I'm in ROMA just blows my mind every single day. Y'know, just ambling past the Trevi Fountain (where some of our group saw DEBRA MESSING yesterday, what?!), grabbing a quick, delicious cappuccino (for only 1 euro!) at our favorite bar, having class within sight of things like the Imperial Fora and the Colosseum... no big!

The group this year is wonderful, too, we all get along and hang out together -- I love it. Vicki and I share an adorable two-person apartment with a loft, the other four girls have an apartment next door, and all nine boys are in an enormous apartment upstairs. It's great, we can just yell our our kitchen windows to talk to each other, haha. We've been playing tons of games, too, like Phase 10, Quiddler, Taboo, Bang!, Presidents... most nights, you can find us all crowded in the boys' living room, Banging, drinking beers, and just chilling.

I can't believe that I'm already a quarter of the way through this program. I miss Texas, but still, I can't imagine going back just yet. I'm actually catching a train to Bari with Kristin and Stephen the night the program ends, and then we're flying to Athens the morning of the 27th! I'm still bitter about how much the prices for the flight jumped, but still, I can't wait for four whole days in Greece. I fly back to the States early in the morning on July 1st and get into Houston that night. I'll probs be there a couple days (I really want to go to Warped Tour in Houston on the 3rd, somebody come with me!) before heading back to Austin, because I want to spend the 4th of July at Barton Springs and Auditorium Shores, of course. My mom and brother are actually flying out to Taiwan today, and my dad is joining them mid-July. I'll basically be home alone for all of July, so I expect lots of parties and sleepovers to keep me company!

Anyway, I hope everyone's summers are going fabulously, and I miss you all! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment